Health Update: EMG Testing

  Hey guys! You might know that I️ have a health blog called In Sickness and In Sickness. Well, running three blogs is a lot of work for me. So, In Sickness and In Sickness is now going to be a part of this blog. What I️ mean by that is instead of posting health related things on In Sickness and In Sickness, I’m going to be posting that stuff here. And this is my first health related post. If you’re lost at any point, check out to see what I’m talking about.

  I've been having a lot of nerve pain lately. Well, for at least a year. But lately, it's gotten worse. Everything I have read leads me to believe that I have Fibromyalgia. So, in January my mom made an appointment with a neurologist, even though I said I was supposed to see a rheumatologist. Anyway, the neurologist saw me in February and said that my symptoms are definitely not normal. Especially not for someone my age. So, I made an appointment to have an EMG done. And last Thursday, I had it done.

  If you don't know what an EMG is, there are two parts to it. The first part is where they use this little machine to shock you in different parts of your body. They're looking for nerve damage. They started with the arms. This part wasn't too painful for me. It definitely came as a shock (no pun intended) at first, but after the first few jolts, it didn't bother my arms. And then we moved on to the front of my legs. It hurt my right leg so bad. I don't know why. I'm hoping the results will tell me why. But my left leg was fine. But then we moved on to the back of my legs. They mainly focused on the back of my knees, which is up there with one of the most painful experiences of my life. It felt like someone had set the back of my knees on fire. I felt like I was going to cry, but luckily they stopped before I could. That part took about twenty minutes. The lady who did this part told me that it sometimes took up to two hours, depending on the difficulty of the patient.

  The next part wasn't horrible, I guess. For this part, the actual neurologist did the test (the first test was done by a nurse). The neurologist explained that he was going to put electrodes into my arm and leg muscles. It hurt more than I expected it to. Needles don't phase me. But, considering the needles were put into my muscles, which doesn't normally happen with needles around me, I see why it hurt. He did five on each arm and leg. I still have the marks from some of them. I've found that I'm scarring very easily lately. Anyway, they don't hurt anymore. They didn't really hurt at all once the needles were removed, but one of the spots of my leg itched for the rest of the day.

  I go back to the neurologist to get the results next Monday, and I'll update you guys probably a little later in the week. I just want answers, and I'm this much closer to getting them.